Hey guys! Finals are upon us and we’re all pretty done with learning at this point. Despite how painful it is, the best thing you can do is push through. Here are some of my weird tips for surviving and studying! Everyone is different so try things out, but for me, these tips keep me sane.
- Avoid cramming. Or rather, do not put yourself in a position where you have no choice but to cram. Be brutally honest with yourself and admit that no course is designed to make you cram. If you find yourself with 24 hours left, and nothing accomplished, you did that. Start studying early and in smaller more tolerable amounts. Research indicates this is much more effective, and you’ll thank yourself.
- Health is important. This follows the last one. Don’t make it so that you no longer have time to eat properly or sleep. No matter our excuses, we all know that we do better in school when we are healthy. Again, start studying earlier so you have time to care for yourself, and even when you are cramming, force it to be a priority. You’re allowed to eat, and you’re allowed to sleep.
- Know when to push forward, and know when to protect your sanity. If you are upset, frustrated, tired, or just generally depressed about finals, take a break. It can be a long one. Having a mental breakdown won’t help. No matter how important people tell you school is, taking care of yourself is just as if not more important.
- Take showers midday. Sounds weird, but personally, I start to crash and feel gross in the late afternoon. Taking a shower is so refreshing and relaxing, and it is a really quick way to take a study break. 100% guarantee you’ll feel better. But make it quick so you don’t get sleepy.
- Schedule your day. Down to the hour. I like to plan what I am going to do and alternate tasks every hour. It keeps me productive and allows me to take guilt free scheduled study breaks. Try studying for 50 minutes, take a ten minute break, and then switch to something else, and repeat!
- Quizzing yourself is always better than reading. Obviously you have to read everything at least once, but testing yourself is overwhelmingly supported by studies as the best method. Reading can often fool you into thinking you know things because it gives you recognition. It does not give you the ability to recall the information though. Make cue cards, or do what I do and essentially make a test covering all possible material.
When it comes down to it, be prepared and don’t let finals get ahead of you. If you start studying properly, and early enough, you will be able to avoid stressful last minute study sessions. Exams don’t have to consume your life if you allot your time well!
Happy studying!! If you have any of your own tips, reblog, and add them!